The Scariest Moments I’ve Ever Had As A Father

Emergency Vehicles Out of Focus - Source: http://www.freeimages.com/photo/95446

Joel Gratcyk (Daddy's Grounded)

Joel Gratcyk is a social media strategist, father, husband, perpetual student and caffeine junkie. He misses sleeping, but loves being a parent more.

You may also like...

25 Responses

1. Matt Winter says:

It seems like you did the right thing during this emergency. This happens so much more than people are aware. This is a natural response to high fevers, usually it’s caused by a virus or bacteria.

The medic also see.s to have responresponded very appropriately, calming your nerves will in turn calm your sons.

Glad to here everything is better, make sure you still advise your pediatrician, it’s something that is noteworthy!

2. Matt Winter says:

Also, just a question, when your son developed the fever did you try any Tylenol or Mortin? It would help the fever and any pain associated with the incoming teeth.

• I did not this time around. He’s had fevers from shots/teeth before without any issues or meds. I will from now on with any sort of fever though. I didn’t know anything about febrile seizures before this, but have been reading up on them like crazy in the last couple of days.

After the EMTs gave the all clear that night and the following day we alternated Little Remedies (acetaminophen) and Advil until the fever stopped coming back.

• Matt Winter says:

Very good, it’s great to be knowledgeable, just make sure you’re reading reputable info.

Again, glad to hear he’s doing better!

3. Wow Joel! I can’t even imagine the panic. My sons are turning two in a couple weeks, and after the heartbreak of almost losing one of them after birth (they were both preemies) it’s probably one of my biggest fears. Glad everything is ok. There should be more information about febrile seizures given to new parents.

4. chris says:

Glad the little dude is ok. My pregnant wife passed out on me and repeatedly went I to episodes of convulsions. Watching something so unexpected in someone you love is extremely tough. I hope it’s the last time you have to witness such a thing.

5. Natasha says:

Oh wow!!! What an experience! I can’t even begin to imagine how you felt.The worst experience I had was when my son stopped breathing during a severe asthma attack. But I was well-prepared for what to do should that have happened. But I can’t even imagine my son having a seizure. You sound like you did very well, though, and I’m hoping your son is much better now. Wishing you the best!

6. Melisa Wells says:

Holy crap, so scary. I’m sorry you both had to go through that! You handled everything so well though, Joel. You’ll relax again eventually: I promise. 😉

7. Underdaddy says:

I cried just reading this. I felt the exact same way. Like torture how slow time goes.

8. Thom says:

Fatherhood is so scary at times, the first of many I am sure. Wes is so lucky to have parents who love him so much. My son was in his mid-twenties when he had his unexplained seizure. Still scary. Good thing you were there and responded so well. Happy New Year!

9. Ileana says:

Wow, this has been my fear for so long. My son gets very high fevers. We have seen him get to 105 several times and the doctors can’t always figure out what is wrong with him. My husband has epilepsy. My mom, sister and mother in law had epilepsy. My sister in law had a stress induced seizure and my father in law had a febrile seizure. I always thought this was going to be our nightmare. Our Christmas nightmare ended up being anaphylaxis from an egg allergy that we didn’t know he had when he had just turned 1. I had to kick my husband out of the emergency room because I was worried he was going to have a seizure. It’s never easy. My daughter ended up having meningitis at 10 weeks and carried 103 fever for about a week. Neither of them has ever had a febrile seizure and I’m so grateful. Watching my husband have seizures I can’t imagine what it would be like to experience one of my children going through that. You handled it perfectly and getting as educated as you can about it means you are continuing to handle it perfectly. Glad to hear he is now doing okay and now you know what to look for in the future. I can recognize my husbands preseizure personality right away. Anyway, now that I’ve finished writing a book in your comments section…I hope you have a very uneventful New Years!

10. Normal? That is a far from normal as I can think of. Scary as hell. Neither of my children had that and none that I ever saw. I can’t imagine how scared I would have been.
    So glad he is okay and hope that is fine in the long run.

11. garym6059 says:

I went through the same thing myself with my daughter at age two, I was at work and mother in law called to inform me something wasn’t right. I beat the ambulance to the hospital, scariest moment in my life when my daughter wouldn’t respond to me as I was practically screaming at her in the E.R.

12. I can only imagine what you went through. My sister in law had her son choke on something and we nearly lost him. She wouldn’t let go of him after that. I feel for you!

13. It happened to me yesterday with my thirteen month old. He was with the nanny when it first happened. The scary part is I didn’t realize it was a seizure till it struck again when we were at the doctor’s, about 2 hours 45 minutes later :'(

Pin It on Pinterest